Friday, October 28, 2011

Mexican - and the 50's?? Check it out...:)


We have this really cool Chataquea Concert Series and they bring in a bunch of different bands, groups and soloists during the year like the Von Trapp grandkids (they're actually the grandchildren of the real Von Trapp family - I know, cool right ?!)...we heard the Mexican Metales M5 group last month - an amazing, chart-topping-in-Mexico, brass quintet that had the coolest costumes and the funniest humor ever.  They everything from Baroque, blues, tango, West Side Story, Austrian - it was so funny and those guys were super talented!! Like professors and concert chairs people at concerts!! (I couldn't copy any pics from their website, but if you want to check it out, here's the link: http://www.metalesm5.com/homeeng.html - they're hilarious!!! Check out the pics if nothing else - you won't be disappointed!!! :) 

ANYWAYS, The concert for this month was this guy: (well, actually him and his band)



It wasn't the best picture, but it's all I could find!! :)
 Richie Lee and the Fabulous 50's was in concert at our high school.  Richie won a look-alike contest for Buddy Holly (I don't know who that was - from the 50's, and I wasn't alive then :).  If you've ever heard of the song "La Bamba" by Ritchie Valens, (that's the only one that I knew - from Spanish class :), it's that type of music plus other 50's.  And the best part?  He sang "Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley - and sounded almost identical too!!  And he did the whole slant-the-mike thing and the cool twirl-your-leg thing - just like Elvis...it was so much fun to watch!!  I just wish that more kids could have been there.  Our high school did "All Shook Up" last year for the musical, all Elvis Presley style. 

One of the songs at the concert was called "Pretty Woman" and he wanted all the ladies to come and stand in front of the stage.  Well, sufice it to say, that out of a full house, there were about 6 brave people (ladies, to be exact :)  that came down and listened.  Dad was nudging me to go down there, but of course, I was bashful - how many times do you have a cute, 21-year old guy w/ sunglasses and a tuape (I don't think that's how you spell it :)  sing to you?  It's not an everyday occurance for me anyway - I don't know about you. It was so much fun to hear somebody that had a really amazing voice, sing old music.  Although now that I think about it, he wasn't as cute as I thought last night.  :)  Oh, well...I think stage lights have something to do with that. :)

I love how you can enjoy music from different time periods and it's fun to like the differences betweent them. (I don't think that last sentence made much sense - I think it's because of the time :)...anyway, I hope you enjoyed my little "music" blurp - goodnight!!! :)


Rachel

2 comments:

  1. How I love Elvis! SO MUCH. :D
    All Shook up is fun... but honestly- any of his "bluesy" songs- I heart. <3

    I hope you check out my blog and follow!

    Makay
    www.thebirdssay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just found your cute blog! I wish I had known what blogging was when I was a senior in highschool four years ago!

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and they always makes my day!! So type away! :)